5 tips to keep your Invisalign aligners in top condition
Posted on 26th September 2018 at 10:13
One of the biggest advantages of straightening your teeth with Invisalign clear aligners is their all-but-invisible appearance. However, if you don’t take proper care of them they can quickly turn from transparent to tarnished. Here’s how to keep your aligners – and the teeth they’re straightening– in perfect condition.
• Remove your aligners for eating – Although you change your aligners every two weeks, forgetting to take them out while you are eating will result in a disgusting mess that will take so long to clean that you will not forget it! It may cause them to discolour (as well as causing damage to the aligners). Stick to drinking water while you are wearing your aligners and be sure to remove them every time you consume anything else (including chewing gum!)
• Watch what you drink in your aligners – The only drink that is truly safe in aligners is water. However, by experimenting you will find out that you will get away with a few drinks along the way. Do strictly avoid sweet, acidic and staining drinks. As a basic rule, if it will stain a white shirt; it will stain your aligners!
• Rinse after wearing – Your mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria, and since you wear your aligners for 22 hours a day it’s important to keep them clean. When you remove your aligners, rinse them with cold or lukewarm water.
• Keep them in their protective case – Invisalign aligners come with a protective case that you should use whenever they’re not in your mouth. Not only does it reduce the likelihood of misplacing them or losing them to an unfortunate dog-chewing incident, the case will protect your aligners from unsanitary environments where they can attract germs and bacteria.
• Brush your aligners thoroughly every time you brush your teeth – Without brushing, plaque, foul-smelling bacteria and food particles can become trapped between your teeth and the aligners, causing a build-up. To keep your teeth in top condition throughout treatment and minimise the risk of cavities, make sure that you brush your aligners twice per day. An electric toothbrush with a small head is perfect for this. Do not use toothpaste or mouth-rinse on the aligners and, and rinse your aligners in water before putting them back in your mouth.
At Park Dental, we offer a number of adult brace options, including Invisalign. If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign or other orthodontic treatment options, please contact us to schedule a free consultation. We look forward to your visit.
Share this post: